Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Errands and Confrontation

Monday, July 23rd

On the crawl count this morning, I found a turtle! She came ashore only a couple meters above the wave line. Usually they crawl up to the high tide line and lay their eggs, so it was kind of odd. Within 10 minutes of digging her nest, she had gotten smashed by at least 3 waves. I’m not quite sure why she chose to lay so close to the water. After another 10 minutes, she headed back to the ocean. Usually Olive Ridleys take about 45 minutes to lay their nests, so I knew that she hadn’t taken long enough. When I went to un-bury the eggs, I wasn’t surprised to see that she hadn’t actually laid any. It was so frustrating! I just want to find a nest!

Later, Andrea (one of the good German volunteers) and I took the bus to Monterrico to run a couple of errands for Glenda. First, we went to the pharmacia to pick up some items for the parque’s first aid kit. Next, we went to a tienda to pick up some baskets for people to keep vegetables and fruit in. Then, we went to all the different tiendas and hung up signs inviting people to visit the hatchery. We waited around long enough so that we could get lunch at one of the restaurants. I really wanted pizza, but the only that sells it was closed for the day. We both settled on a hamburger and fries instead. I also had a chocolate milkshake. It was delicious and soooo nice to have some American style food!

Jordan look there is a restaurant named after you!


When we got back there was some drama with the volunteers. I guess they had been told to dig up the roots and plants about a meter out from around the hatchery. Then later they were told 2 meters and then later 5 meters by Glenda and Willie (a park worker in training). Because I’m the English speaker, I got the brunt of their frustration. It was my first real run-in with unhappy volunteers. It was stressful, but I think I was able to smooth everything out…hopefully!!
'

No comments:

Post a Comment