Monday, July 16, 2012

Natural Phenomenons


Tuesday, July 10th

Today, we worked on getting the palm leaves for the hatchery. Mariachi cut them down from various trees in the park and then we dragged them to the hatchery. It was hard work especially because this was one of the hottest days so far. In order to cool off, we all took a dive in the ocean. The waters here are pretty strong though. San Diego has some pretty strong rip currents, but they don’t hold a candle to the ones here! As soon as I felt myself getting pulled out, I got out of the ocean completely. The ocean here is fun to play in, but you just have to be careful.

After our swim, we went to the local school to pick up some piñatas. The children had made some for us to use during the turtle season inauguration party that we hold for the local children. We all got to pick our favorite two then bring them back to the parque. I picked a crazy looking pear and the number 4. I didn’t realize it was the number 4 when I first picked it though…I thought it was an upside down donkey! It was super sweet for the children to make us piñatas and I loved looking through all of the different ones.


 Everyone's favorite piñata: a crazy-eyed strawberry


On returning to the parque, TJ and I played Frisbee on the beach. It was such a normal beach activity that it relieved a little bit of the homesickness I have been feeling recently. During the middle of our Frisbee session, it started raining, so we went up to the parque’s watch tower to watch the lightning show. I have to admit that lighting might be one of my favorite natural phenomenons. I could watch lightning stream across the sky for hours…it is just so cool!

The sunset right before the lightning show


Later on in the evening, I spent time talking to Emilio (the helper of a Guatemalan researcher studying the mangroves). I learned that he owns an organic farm just outside of Guatemala City. I was so interested to hear about his farm because I had no idea that organic farming existed here. It was also refreshing to meet an environmentally conscious Guatemalan because as he explained they are far and few between. He also extended an invitation to see and stay at his farm. I’m definitely going to take him up on it! I love going to other countries and meeting and talking to like minded people. This trip so far has been FILLED with interesting people, which I am very thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment