Monday, July 16, 2012

Guatemalan Birthday


Sunday, July 8th

During the morning, we continued to level out the dirt of the main hatchery. Who knew digging was so time consuming! I will be so happy when we finally have this hatchery prepared. After some hatchery work, a couple volunteers and I headed to Monterrico to get a birthday cake for Glenda (the park director). I was curious to see how the cakes here would look and taste so it was really interesting to go the bakery and look at our options. We settled on a tres leche cake with vanilla frosting.

For her birthday dinner, we ate in Monterrico at the restaurant El Pelikano (The Pelican). They actually had a real white pelican there that they rescued after it broke its wing. Now it walks around the restaurant and swims in their small fountain.  After a week and a half of Guatemalan food (aka eggs, beans, and rice), I was happy to go for some American food…the other American volunteer (TJ) and I settled on hamburgers and fries! We had a great time relaxing and joking around. Then, it was time for cake! It was super moist and the consistency was unlike any other cake I have ever tried. I’ve decided that I like Guatemalan cake…TJ and I already have plans to go back to Monterrico and get another cake haha. 

 The white pelican

No comments:

Post a Comment