Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Suero (a Guatemalan drink you don’t want to have)


Friday, July 20th

Alice was a champ and volunteered to cover my half of the crawl counts in order to let me have a full night’s sleep for once. When I woke up, I felt much better...still tired, but no stomach problems. Alice recommended I drink Suero, which is the Guatemalan version of an electrolyte drink. It was probably one of the more disgusting drinks that I’ve had, but I needed it. 

 The powedered form of Suero...YUCK!


The small hatchery was finished and leveled today! The volunteers that are left are so awesome and managed to level it all out. Now I just need to start working on my plans to expand and revamp it. The small hatchery is in pretty bad shape. The walls are broken and the door barely covers the entry way, so it isn’t very protected from outside intruders like people, dogs, crabs, etc. Apparently, a new hatchery only costs around $500, so if I can raise some money I think that we could do a lot to make this hatchery bigger and better. 
 We could even just fix the small hatchery and build another small one. No one has taken the initiative yet to make these hatcheries better so I will. In the next week or so I’m going to be making some calls to get a better idea about supplies and plans.



 Why the small hatchery needs to be fixed...


The rest of the day was spent doing odd end projects that needed to be completed like painting trees, organizing t-shirts that the parque sells, and washing extra mosquito nets and towels. Emma and Pernille (two Danish volunteers) left today, which was super sad. They were amazing volunteers and just fun people to be around in general. I’m going to miss them! One of the hard things about this job is meeting super cool people then having to say goodbye to them.

Glenda came back from her mangrove conference for the night and she bought me a little seashell souvenir from Monterrico! She is so sweet. Last time she went to Monterrico she got me a new pair of earrings and now this. She really is the best boss a girl could ask for!! 

 My seashell souvenir!

No comments:

Post a Comment