Friday, November 16, 2012

Animal Spa Day


Sunday, October 7th

This morning, we did a mass animal cleaning. Some of the volunteers scrubbed the algae off of the shells of the freshwater turtles. The rest helped me wash the dogs. Paco, of course, was a hassle. He hates water, so he kept squirming out of our hands. We eventually got him clean and dry though. Paca was much easier. At first, she struggled because she saw how much Paco disliked it, but I think she ended up not minding in the end. Afterwards, we cleaned the wounds of the two birds we found in the mangroves. I ended up joining the volunteers in scrubbing off algae because there were a lot of turtles that needed to be cleaned. I also helped Sabine rake a bit around the park and pick up all of the leaves and brush.

Hard at work cleaning those turtles


 Cleaning the Garza's wing


Poor guy...such a deep wound.


Later in the afternoon, we made the rope that we use for hatchling releases longer, so that it will reach further along the beach. Before it was just too short! The rest of the afternoon I caught up with Facebook and emails.

Tonight on patrol there weren’t too many turtles, but I was still able to buy a nest. I’m hoping Glenda is able to get some more money from the Administrative Office because we definitely have the ability to buy more nests with more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment