Friday, November 16, 2012

New Bird Rescue


Friday, October 5th

Like it seemed on patrols, hardly any turtles came up. I only found 5 tracks…that is the least amount of tracks I have found since the beginning of the season. In the morning, Sabine and I helped Mariachi dig the roots out of the corner of the small hatchery. He dug up the sand and we sifted through it. We took out any roots, egg shells, or rocks. Now that the trench is around the hatchery too, I think that the roots will die.

Some of the other volunteers went to the mangroves to collect water samples for the mangrove research project and found an injured bird, a Garza or an egret. They took it to the local clinic to have its neck sewn up because it was ripped open by a fishing line. It seems to be doing fine after its little operation.

The Garza checking out is new home with the iguanas


In the afternoon, I went to Alice’s for Spanish. I ended up just staying there for dinner. Glenda and her mother came as well. We had pesto pasta and garlic bread! It was so delicious. It has been forever since I have eaten pesto it seems like. It was also nice to get out of the park for awhile. I was supposed to go on patrol tonight, but Glenda said to rest. I have done crawl counts for the past week, so I think she wanted to give me a break. It was nice to sleep a whole night for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment