Sunday, September 23, 2012

Another Crawl Counter


Tuesday, September 11th

I took Judit, the volunteer staying for 6 months on crawl counts this morning to see if she is ready to do it by 
herself….and I think she is. That means there is another person that can do it, which is great for my sleeping schedule. We only found about 9 tracks on our side, so there really weren’t many turtles that came up. It looks like they came up later in the night when we had already returned from patrols.

In the morning, I helped Riikka sand some wood for some shelves that she is making for one of the volunteer dorms. Riikka is a carpenter so of course she was way faster and better than me haha. The rest of the girls painted blocks with the word “turtle” in different languages. It is turning out really cool! Now I know how to say turtle in the couple languages that I can actually pronounce!

 The newly painted blocks!


In the afternoon, Riikka taught me how to make ice cream from scratch. It requires you to beat cream and eggs with a whisk…my arm was soooo tired afterwards. We made banana and lime ice cream. We have to wait until tomorrow to try it, but I don’t think I can wait. I’m excited that I can now make my own ice cream! I don’t have to go all the way to the tienda or rely on the ice cream truck anymore.

The beaten cream is on the left, the banana/egg yolk mixture is in the center, and the egg white mixture is on the right

 

I did the super late patrols for tonight in hopes that I could maybe catch some turtles after the high tide….not so. We only found 3 tracks and saw one turtle with no donations or nests bought. It has been a bad couple nights on patrol. Hopefully, tomorrow gets better!

No comments:

Post a Comment