Friday, September 7, 2012

Not the Flu, Just Dengue Fever


Friday, September 7th

All of last night, I had a restless sleep filled with the chills and an uncomfortable body ache. I slept until about 11:00am and then Glenda woke me up to see how I felt. She said I had to go to the doctor and I agreed. 

The past two days I have slept more than I usually do. I’m generally exhausted here, but this seemed different. The clinic was closed, so we went to the pharmacist. I guess here a pharmacist is just as good as a doctor in some places. The pharmacist listened to my symptoms, took a quick look at me, and then diagnosed me with dengue fever. I got a shot in the butt for my body aches and painkillers to take with me. Now don’t worry everyone, it is just a viral infection spread by mosquitos. It goes away in a couple days to a week. I’ll just have body aches and be tired for the next couple days.

After my pharmacy visit, I said goodbye to two great volunteers, Lynn and Sabine. They each had been here for about 3 weeks. They were awesome in every single way. I’m going to miss them. After they left, I spent the rest of the day napping, reading, rehydrating, and resting. I’m going to try and muster up energy for a patrol because I feel like I have been so useless the past couple days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment