Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chicken Bus


Friday, September 21st

This morning on crawl counts was busy. I walked about five minutes and met a parlamero who had a turtle that just came up. I just barely missed another one! I realized when I was looking through my patrol kit that I didn’t have any money, so I headed back to the parque. I got some money and then bought the nest. On my way back to the parque, I ran into another parlamero with a turtle and I bought that nest as well. I was JUST missing all of these turtles! I went back to bury the nests and by the time I was done it was light again, so I just started counting tracks from the parque. At the end, I got a ride back from a nice woman who turns out to live right across the street from the parque. She offered to give me a ride to Monterrico if I ever needed it! I was happy that I was able to get a ride because it seemed like I had already walked about 4km walking back and forth to the parque.

In the morning, we leveled out the small hatchery. It looks great and is all ready for eggs! The rest of the morning we emptied out plastic bags of dirt that were left over from the reforestation. We saved the soil, but threw out the bags because many were ripped. We also replanted some of the plants that were left behind because they were too small to be reforested.

After lunch, I got ready for my days off…I made a checklist of things that need to be accomplished around the parque, I organized the money that is used to buy nests, and I made a new temperature gauge to be put at the front of the big hatchery. I also packed up all my clothes, so that I get my laundry done! I’ve been handing washing my clothes, but they never seem to get clean.

I left at 2:30pm on the Rebuli, which is the chicken bus that goes directly from Hawaii to Antigua. I wanted to take that one so that I wouldn’t have to worry about changing buses or anything. Because it was a 4 hour drive and I wasn’t going with anyone else I decided finally to start the Game of Thrones book series. All the people that kept pushing me to start it, you win haha. Once I got to Antigua, I went straight to the laundry mat. Then, I stopped at a spa to get a pedicure. 3 months of walking in flip flops, the sand, etc. has made my feet disgusting, so it was necessary. I had a quick dinner at the hotel, and then passed out. Jordan (my boyfriend) comes tomorrow…I’m so excited!!!

 The Rebuli!

No comments:

Post a Comment