Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Invasion of the Local Kids


Tuesday, August 28th

This morning and afternoon, we had a local school group come to the parque to learn about the mangroves, so we cleaned up the parque for their arrival. We got a lot of raking, sweeping, and random clean up stuff done. Luckily, Angela ran the education program. I don’t think my Spanish is anywhere near good enough to discuss environmental education with young kids. It was really cool to see the kids interested in learning about the environment! This is the generation that can help stop the bad practices of their parents and grandparents. 

After the kids left, we spent the afternoon lounging around and resting to get ready for a potentially big turtle night again. And a big turtle night it was! I got 3 beach donations and saw two turtles! I even was able to convince one parlamero to give more eggs. Sometimes it’s nice to be a girl…laying on the charm and asking for “Uno huevo mas por favor” really seems to work with some of these guys. I can’t believe how busy it has been on the beach the past couple nights. I used to do patrols and not even see tracks and now I’m almost guaranteed to see a turtle. It really is peak turtle season!

No comments:

Post a Comment