Friday, September 7, 2012

Sad Departures


Monday, September 3th

Once again there weren’t too many turtles on crawl count. There is a full, bright moon right now, so that mightbe why there haven't been many. Some parlameros think a bright moon is good for turtles and some think it isn’t. I haven’t seen enough full moons to decide for myself.

In the morning, I organized the rest of the office. There were so many dirty binders and papers everywhere, so I decided to clean it all up. I’m not finished yet, but it looks so much better already. I just hope it stays clean and organized…ya right haha. Later in the afternoon, Megan and Ryan left. I was genuinely sad that they were leaving even though I had only known them for a week. They were such a cool couple and they did a bunch of great work in a short time for the park. They always seemed to be up to helping out in any way that they could. I really wish they were staying longer.

The rest of the day I spent entering data for the month of August and then drafting an update email to send to all of the past volunteers. Unfortunately, the internet was being super slow, so it took hours to upload picture attachments of the hatchlings.

I went on patrol for the first time in what seemed like forever…it was actually just a few days. Within 2km we came across 3 turtles. We were able to get donations from all 3! The last parlamero even gave us 16 eggs. We spent awhile talking to him, which I think is the key to getting more eggs than a dozen. It was super weird too because two turtles came up about 10 meters apart maybe. As soon as we were done getting the donation of one, the next turtle came up and started digging. Then, when we got back there were hatchlings to release…it was a busy night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment