Friday, September 7, 2012

Junk Food


Tuesday, September 4th

In the morning, I finished cleaning the office! It looks great if I do say so myself. All of the books, posters, and office supplies are now organized. In addition, every surface has been washed. I don’t think this office has ever looked so clean! The rest of the day I helped some volunteers rake and weed the park. 

Everything has labels and categories now!


As a reward, in the afternoon, we went to the tienda and got fries, ice cream, and a soda. It was so much junk food, but I will walk it off so I’m not worried. It is nice to have a treat occasionally. We even got a ride to the tienda in an air-conditioned car by a nice man. It seems like it has been forever since the last time I have been near an air-conditioner. When we got back, I excavated two nests. The first nest was really weird though. Only 2 out of 12 eggs hatched. I’m not sure if they were bad eggs or what. When I opened up the infertile eggs, they were all dry and moldy inside. I’m going to have to ask Scott or somebody else what that means. The other nests have been hatching fine though, so I’m not sure if I should be worried.

Sabine (a German volunteer) and I went on patrol together at night and we had only gone about 1.5km before we found a parlamero with a turtle. The park is starting to buy nests now because the price is down to 10Q for a dozen. While we were waiting for the turtle to lay, it started pouring! I didn’t have any rain gear with me, so instantly I was soaked. After we got the eggs, we ran back to the park. The lightning and thunder were literally right over our heads. It was so scary!! Every lightning strike completely blinded us…it was that close! By the time we got back to the park, I was so winded from running with 85 eggs…they are heavier than you think haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment