Friday, August 17, 2012

Iguana Release

Monday, August 13th

We have gotten a ton more volunteers lately, which is great! We need the help especially because the hatchlings are coming. However, new volunteers mean lots of training. I’m hoping to groom some new long-term volunteers to do crawl counts since two of the more experienced volunteers here are leaving at the end of the month.

After breakfast and crawl counts, I took the volunteers to Monterrico in order for them to get some money and groceries. I, of course, got a cake! On the way back, we got a ride with the Monterrico police. We had already waited a half hour for the bus and it still hadn’t come, so when the police pulled up we asked them for a ride. I think they were bored because they said yes. So we got a ride in the back of the police pick-up truck haha.  

In the afternoon, we released 3 iguanas in the mangroves. I’ve been pushing Mariachi to release more animals, so I was really happy. They ran away in hurry, so you can tell they were glad to be released. Later, when I was trying to identify the 4 types of freshwater turtles we have at the park, I noticed a dead musk turtle in the cage. I couldn’t tell why it died, but it helped me convince Mariachi to release more turtles next week. Back to identifying turtles though…we don’t have a field guide of any kind here, so I had to go on the internet. The internet is super slow, so it took me forever to figure out the scientific names based on the Spanish common names. I also created a cheat sheet for volunteers to use when giving a tour to visitors, which is why I was trying to identify the different turtles. Finally, I calculated the number of eggs that have been collected in July/August this year vs. last year. We were ahead in July’s counts and it is tough to say how we are doing in comparison to August. I’m hoping we beat last year’s egg counts!

 The beautiful mangroves :)

 

 The 3 iguanas we released

 

 An almost free iguana!

No comments:

Post a Comment