Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Endless Search


Wednesday, August 8th

I slept in again today and by the time I woke up it was already lunch time, so I skipped breakfast. I decided to eat lunch at Pollo Campero, which is a Guatemalan fast food restaurant that is a mixture between KFC and McDonalds. I wanted to eat there because people kept talking about it and you see them everywhere. I got a chicken sandwich and it pretty much tasted like something that you would get in the States. The Olympics were playing while I was eating, so I was able to watch it for the first time this year! It was the Men’s High Jump. There is no TV at the parque, so I’ve been skimming Yahoo for any news about the Olympics. After eating, I went to the supermarket to buy some food. The tiendas in Hawaii are very limited in options, so it was nice to be able to buy spices, different kinds of cheese, snacks, and most importantly peanut butter. I also went to the fruit market to buy some apples and kiwis both of which you can’t buy at the tiendas in Hawaii.


 The Pollo Campero

 

 A man selling fruit on the street


Afterwards, I was on the lookout for a graduated cylinder and a small whiteboard for Alice. Using my limited Spanish skills, I was able to describe what I was looking for, but nowhere I went seemed to have either object. They kept sending me to all kinds of different shops, so eventually I gave up. I looked at some more churches and bought myself a large duffel bag that was hand-woven by a Maya woman. I ended my walk with a cup of fruit that I bought off the street. I went back to the hotel to rest for a little while before dinner. For dinner, I decided to go to the one Thai restaurant in town. I got some kind of peanut sauce noodle dish. It wasn’t bad, but it definitely tasted like imitation Thai food. I decided that maybe Antigua is not the best place to get ethnic food haha. Afterwards, I went back to my hotel and watched Being John Malkovitch because Netflix actually worked with the wifi. It was a strange movie, but I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment