Sunday, August 26, 2012

Nest Excavations


Tuesday, August 21st

Today was a pretty low-key day. I helped the volunteers weed around the parque and paint various animal cages. I also did my first nest excavation. After a nest is mostly hatched, you excavate the nest to see if there are any hatchlings too weak to make it out of the nest on their own. Another reason you excavate it is to see why some eggs didn’t hatch…it could be they were eaten by worms, they were in infertile, etc. The last reason for excavating is to remove all of the old eggs and bacteria so that new nests can be placed in that spot. I was able to save a couple hatchlings that were stuck on the bottom of the nest, which was great! I also had to open up the eggs that didn’t hatch to see what happened. It is a smelly job, but it is interesting to get a glimpse as to why they didn’t hatch.


Such a smelly job!


Later on, I got a migraine, so I took the night off from patrols. I really needed to get some sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment