Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shooting Stars


Wednesday, August 1st

This morning on crawl count I saw something for the first time…a shooting star! And I didn’t see just one, but five different ones! I’m not sure if it was a meteor shower or what, but it was really cool. Unfortunately, I was too stunned to make a wish on any of them! Although there haven’t been any turtles on the crawl counts, I have been thoroughly entertained by the beauty of my surroundings.

Today was a pretty low-key day. We finished leveling the extra cage! Now the iguanas can bury their nests…that won’t happen until January, but at least it is finished! We also flipped, cleaned, and laid all of the mattresses from the volunteer lodgings in sun. Laying them in the sun helps to kill any insects that might be in them. It sounds gross, but we are in a rural area of the tropics, so bugs are unavoidable. We also redistributed all of the mosquito nets and pillows.

The extra cage all leveled out! However, it didn't take long for leaves to fall on the freshly raked dirt.


In the afternoon, I went to my Spanish lesson. Alice taught me some useful conjunctions and prepositions, which was helpful. For dinner, I decided to cook for everyone. Fay usually cooks for her and me, so I wanted to give her a break. I was craving stew, so I figured that was an easy dish to make for everyone. It consisted of tomato pasta, chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, garlic, onions, and 2 different kinds of peppers. 
 
As it was simmering TJ tasted it and decided it needed more salt, so he dumped some in. He put in WAY too much though! We tried to salvage it by adding sugar, more spices, and red wine. It tasted a little better, but was still pretty salty. So much for me cooking haha!

 The salty soup/stew


No comments:

Post a Comment