Friday, August 17, 2012

My Dry Streak is Over!

Wednesday, August 15th

I missed my chance at finding a turtle this morning! For crawl counts, I switched from walking the Hawaii side to the Monterrico side last minute because the girl I was training couldn’t remember the 4km mark for the Monterrico side. Andrea who went on the other side ended up finding a turtle within 5 minutes of walking. The universe just does not want me to find a turtle!

This morning, CONAP came by to look at the turtle. According to Glenda, after they left, they went to arrest the two young men that killed the turtle. I’m glad some justice will come of this. For now we are keeping the turtle and preserving the body as evidence of the crime.

The rest of the morning, Andrea and I made crosses for the turtle cemetery. Everyone has been helping the past couple weeks to repair the roof and make it look better. This part of the park is especially important because of the recent turtle death and all of the strandings. It is a symbolic cemetery for visitors to see how many turtles have died this season. Unfortunately, after only a month and a half it is at 8 deaths. 

 The finished cemeteries


In the afternoon, I went to Alice’s for Spanish lessons. She gave me so more turtle talk, slang, and verbs. I feel that at the end of this job I will be able to speak fluently about turtles and maintenance work (because Mariachi requires me to speak Spanish when I’m asking him about work to do around the parque). Who knows if I’ll be able to hold a normal conversation haha.

At night on patrols, Julia, an Austrian volunteer, and I got a beach donation! I’ve been on kind of a dry streak turtle-wise, so it was great to be able to get some eggs! The boy who donated the eggs was very nice and more than willing to help, which was nice. Lately, there have been parlameros who don’t want to donate at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment