Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Too Late


Sunday, August 26th

On crawl counts this morning I was 10 minutes too late in finding another turtle! Luckily, the parlameros were willing to give me a donation. It turns out that they had found another nest earlier as well so I got two donations! I decided to keep going on with crawl count before burying the nest because of how far I already was. I ended up running into my fisherman friend, Abalino. We had a nice chat about the eggs in both English and Spanish as I’m trying to work on my Spanish and he is trying to work on his English. I also got stopped by a lot of other people who wanted to know about the eggs…the eggs were quite the conversation starters. I even got proposed to by an old Guatemalan man who had just moved back to Guatemala from the States. It was an interesting morning for sure.

The rest of the day was spent entering data and cleaning up around the parque. This seems to be a lot of what my days consist of now haha.

Colum came later in the evening just for the night. He brought a more accurate scale, which made me super happy! There was also a huge storm again and this time a ton of turtles came up! On patrol with Glenda, we marked nine nests in a span of two hours and saw two turtles. We only got one donation though. I’m not so secretly glad I had the day off from crawl counts the next morning, because I’m sure it will take FOREVER to count all of the nests.

No comments:

Post a Comment